Friday, February 04, 2005

Day in the life of a sybarite

I appear to be living a life of leisure. Every day, I rise at the luxurious hour of 10 ... or maybe 11. I eat breakfast, check my internet stuff and read for a couple hours. At some point I might do laundry or get a cleaning urge. Occasionally I remember to make myself go outside and wander around. Then I read some more. And a little more. If I've been reading my textbook, chances are good that I will have a nap on the couch for half an hour or so. I might bake something or sew chair cushions (they're done now). Eventually it's time for MASH and supper. After dishes, I usually spend a couple hours on the computer getting frustrated with my professor and group members from my course (although the group's been a bit better this week) and trying to learn something in this very very nebulous course. I finally go to bed about midnight or maybe 1. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It's a dream life, really - doing nothing but reading and learning while living in Europe. But I must admit to being a little restless. The weather is improving weekly - we've just started on spring, I think, and soon it should be nice enough to encourage long bike rides. I am anticipating this. I'm also the new bi-weekly cleaning lady for a Genzyme friend who lives in Amsterdam, starting Monday. And I do have Dutch class that I should be studying for (but as you might guess, haven't really been). And we are trying to maintain a modicum of social life, too.

But this is me. And I am rather missing having seventeen things to do everyday. I am NOT missing Genzyme or the commute, however. But when we get back to Canada, I'd like to start volunteering again. I could do that here, it's true, but the last place I spoke to needed people who could be reliable and frankly, I want to travel as much as possible while we're here and entertain as many visitors as we can get - this is not so much reliable. So what am I complaining about? Nothing really. I'm just being silly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home