Thursday, May 04, 2006

Progress Report

My mother gave me a little bike computer last year when we were in Utrecht. Due to laziness and then the theft of my piece o'junk bike, it never got installed. I finally got motivated to put it on my beautiful birthday present a week or three after I got it and a few weeks later it even started working (it was a little moody at first). So now I can report some numbers:

Time it takes to get up Emily Murphy Hill: the longest 3 minutes I experience all day
Usual speed going up Emily Murphy Hill: 9-10km/hr. (She's like the wind...)
Usual speed going up Groat Road: 15km/hr
Usual cruising speed on the flats... depending on the wind, 20-25km/hr.
Fastest speed noticed (going down Groat Road) before I decided I'd best brake: 40 km/hr. I could probably go a heck of a lot faster than than going down Emily Murphy on the road rather than the bike path as I don't have to dodge pedestrians then, but I probably don't want to be sure that I could break the speeding limit on a bicycle.
Distance to work: a little over 7km. (That's actually due to viamichelin.com. I haven't figured out how to reset my odometer yet!)

Hopefully in a month or so I will have improvements to report. Already I have noticed improvements as I find it easier to use higher gears and cruise at 20-25 more often than 15-20.

~~~~~~~~~~

In other news, I am pleased to welcome back some long-awaited friends. Stephen and Meaghan arrived back from BC (well, Montreal via Vancouver for M) on Tuesday night and will hopefully be making a great many appearances at Friday Feasts and other gatherings. We must appreciate them while they are home. Hurrah!

1 Comments:

At 4:40 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Garsh, thanks. And congrats on your newfound cycling abilities! Them's some good numbers, I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home