Thursday, August 14, 2008

Poetry Night

My friend Matt has become a Lutheran minister at a church downtown. Though I hadn't seen him in oh, 5 years, we've emailed back and forth now and again and generally kept in touch. So when he told me he was starting a sort of discussion group that looked at various forms of media and art as fodder for a search for truth I was definitely intrigued, despite my usual avoidance of things chruch related. Tonight was the first time I could go - I think it's only the second meeting, and it was a terrific time. There was Matt, his friend from high school, two septugenarian parishoners, 4 poems, and me.

So much fun! We read through two John Donne poems and two Margaret Atwood ones and did our best to unpack and interpret them and just see where the discussions took us. It was like being in English class again except with no essays to be written! I am vastly looking forward to the next evening but have to wait until October.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home